Knitting History Forum is pleased to announce that Dr Roslyn Chapman will be speaking at the Knitting History Conference on Saturday 19th November 2016, at the London College of Fashion. Her presentation, Cultural Sensitivities: Debunking the myths of Shetland lace, uses case studies to illustrate how traditional narratives of knitting history can be altered in retelling, and that even “detailed provenance cannot always be accepted as fact.”
The final programme of speakers and sessions for the Knitting History Conference , is now confirmed as:
- 2.00-2.45 Gieneke Arnolli โ Curator of Textiles & Fashion, Fries Museum, The Netherlands
Typically Frisian lace knitting, between fact and fiction and Curating the Knitting exhibition ‘Breien!’
- 2.45-3.25 Hanna Bรคckstrรถm โ PhD Candidate in Textile Studies, Uppsala University, Sweden
The publication of knitting and crochet patterns in Northern Europe 1790-1870 and Brief remarks on recent knitting history research in Sweden
- 3.35-4.00 Michelle Hanks โ PhD Candidate London College of Fashion
The Hand-Knitted Gift: using knitting as a research tool
- 4.05-4.35 Roslyn Chapman โ PhD, University of Glasgow
Cultural Sensitivities: Debunking the myths of Shetland lace
- 4.05-4.35 Discussion: Reflections on knitting in the media โ how would we represent the history of knitting?
With Joyce Meader, Jane Malcolm-Davies and Sandy Black, following their contributions to a documentary, The Secret History of Knitting. All contributions are welcome โ please follow the link to watch the documentary online before this session [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJiN9GNrDpA].
- 4.45-5.00 General discussion and close.
Further details are available on this downloadable Knitting History Forum AGM & Conference programme: Knitting History Forum Conference 2016 Final Programme. A downloadable agenda is also available for KHF members attending the AGM in the morning: Knitting History Forum AGM 2016 Agenda.
We welcome non-members and new members! Tickets cost ยฃ35 to non-members and can be booked in advance or on the door. If you have not joined KHF as a member, you can use the PayPal button below to buy your ticket. See payment methods page for alternative ways to pay.